Technical Information ©Petzl
Insights Into Carabiners
Carabiners are rated in capacity by loading along the long axis. They have little strength when side-loaded along the short axis. Some offset carabiners, such as the modified “D” carabiner, help prevent side loading. Make sure to always load a carabiner along its spine (the long axis).
Technical “use” carabiners have a minimum breaking strength with the gate close of 27kN (6,069 lbf) and General Use carabiners a gate closed major axis of 40kN (8,992 lbf).
Choice of carabiners for attaching the rope to the anchor
Key issues and risks
At the anchor, carabiners stay in place over a long period of time; monitoring them during use is difficult or irregular.
Requirements and needs differ depending on the situations, and the equipment to be connected.
During installation, there are often several items to be attached to the carabiner. The anchor is not always easily accessible; installation must sometimes be done with one hand.
The most important risks to consider
Recommendation on carabiner and accessories
Why this choice?
• The SCREW-LOCK system facilitates installation, as it can be locked just once, at the end of the operation. The entire operation can be done with one hand. With an auto-lock, the sleeve must be operated at each opening/closing of the gate and two hands are required to attach an item
• The frame shape and material (aluminum or steel) must be chosen depending on the situation (industrial, heavy systems, sport or recreation, lightweight systems…) and on the equipment to be attached (one or more ropes, pulley, PAW…)
Precautions for use
• During installation, anticipate the situational risks and evaluate the possibilities of monitoring the connectors before and during use
• Do not leave a carabiner at the anchor without the ability to monitor it, if there is any risk of movement during use, cantilever loading or rubbing
• Once the installation is complete, verify that the connectors are correctly locked and positioned before using the system
• Whenever possible, back-up the system to avoid being dependent on the strength of only one carabiner
• Warning: the SCREW-LOCK sleeve can be opened by vibrations. During installation, be sure to rotate the carabiner so that gravity and vibrations tend to “close” the sleeve rather than “open” it.
[thrive_lead_lock id=’56688′]Hidden Content[/thrive_lead_lock]
Peace on your Days