Key issues and risks
When the rope is taut, the carabiner and the device are held in position by the tension.
But when the rope is slack, the device and its carabiner can move about and become poorly positioned. So there is a risk of rubbing on the sleeve, or of cantilever loading between the device and the harness attachment point.
The most important risks to consider
Recommendation on carabiner and accessories
– Use an Am’D carabiner and a CAPTIV bar
– Choose a locking system suited to your use
Why this choice?
The asymmetry of the D shape allows for good load distribution and helps resist carabiner rotation. For this use, there is only one device to attach, so a wide opening and high capacity are not necessary.
- On devices with a safety gate, the rope can be inserted without detaching the carabiner, so it’s possible to fix the device on the carabiner with the CAPTIV bar.
- The CAPTIV limits poor carabiner positioning.
- The carabiner is held in the position chosen by the user, for example with the locking sleeve on the moving side-plate side of the I’D.
- The remaining risk of the locking sleeve rubbing against the harness attachment point must be monitored by the user. It is more or less important depending on the situation and locking system used
BUY PETZL CARABINERS
Precautions for use
- Regularly verify that the carabiner stays loaded on the major axis, especially when it is reloaded after having been unloaded.
- With an auto-locking carabiner, check at each opening and closing that the sleeve is completely locked.
- Install the carabiner with the sleeve facing yourself, (moving side-plate side), to avoid accidental pressure on the locking sleeve from the structure, in case of tight passages or false moves.
- Avoid any pressure or rubbing that could damage or unlock the locking sleeve, and/or cause the gate to open.
- At work, use a second belay system in addition to your progression system.
[thrive_lead_lock id=’56688′]Hidden Content[/thrive_lead_lock]
Peace on your Days
7 thoughts on “Choice of Petzl carabiner for attaching a descender with a safety gate (I’D S, RIG, STOP…) to the harness”
390172 318782Normally I do not read post on blogs, nonetheless I wish to say that this write-up really forced me to take a look at and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite excellent post. 742064
646822 239163Hey man, .This was an superb page for such a hard subject to talk about. I look forward to reading several much more excellent posts like these. Thanks 673429
52421 102468I really enjoy reading on this website, it holds wonderful articles . 709705
60968 88193I like this weblog very considerably so a lot excellent info . 398147
142239 116771Over and over again I like to think about this troubles. As a matter of fact it wasnt even a month ago that I thought about this extremely thing. To be honest, what could be the answer though? 758481
903647 878855I ought to admit that this is 1 excellent insight. It surely gives a company the opportunity to get in on the ground floor and truly take part in creating something special and tailored to their needs. 71592
311907 691765You got a really excellent site, Glad I noticed it via yahoo. 282188
Comments are closed.